Professor of Computer Science
Dr. Sanaa Sharafeddine is a professor of computer science at the Lebanese American University. She received the BE and ME degrees in Computer and Communications Engineering from the American University of Beirut (AUB) and her doctoral degree in Communications Engineering from Munich University of Technology (TUM). Her PhD research work was conducted in collaboration with Siemens AG research labs in Munich and resulted in two granted patents.
Dr. Sharafeddine was selected as L’Oreal-Unesco International Rising Talent in 2015 and received L’Oreal-Unesco Pan Arab Regional Fellowship Award in 2013. She was elevated to the grade of IEEE senior member in 2010. She is the recipient of Siemens Youth and Knowledge Scholarship for Highly Distinguished Students and Charli Korban Award for Outstanding Graduate Student in the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture at AUB.
She has served on the editorial boards of Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks Journal, IEEE Access, and IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC) – Series on Network Softwarization and Enablers. Since Fall 2016, she has been serving as an ABET Program Evaluator of the Computing Accreditation Commission. She served as the vice chair of the IEEE Computer Society Lebanon Chapter between 2009 and 2011, as the director of the Software Institute at the Lebanese American University between 2014 and 2017, and as a technical program committee member for various international conferences.
Her research interests include wireless networking, UAV-aided communications, edge computing, and cooperative communications.
- D. Ebrahimi, S. Sharafeddine, P. Ho, C. Assi, “Autonomous UAV Trajectory for Localizing Ground Objects: A Reinforcement Learning Approach,” in IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 2020.
- M. Samir, S. Sharafeddine, C. Assi, T. Nguyen, A. Ghrayeb, “UAV trajectory planning for data collection from time-constrained IoT devices,” in IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 19(1), 2020.
- M. Khabbaz, J. Antoun, S. Sharafeddine, C. Assi, “Modelling and Delay Analysis of Intermittent V2U Communication In Secluded Areas,” in IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 2020.
- N. Abbas, S. Sharafeddine, H. Hajj, Z. Dawy, “Price-aware traffic splitting in D2D HetNets with cost-energy-QoE tradeoffs,’’ in Elsevier Computer Networks, vol. 172, 2020
- R Islambouli, S Sharafeddine, “Optimized 3D Deployment of UAV-Mounted Cloudlets to Support Latency-Sensitive Services in IoT Networks,” in IEEE Access, vol. 7, 2019.
- N. Kherraf, S. Sharafeddine, C. Assi, A. Ghrayeb, “Latency and reliability-aware workload assignment in IoT networks with mobile edge clouds,” in IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management, 16(4), 2019.
- P. Dinh, T.M. Nguyen, S. Sharafeddine, C. Assi, “Joint location and beamforming design for cooperative UAVs with limited storage capacity,” in IEEE Transactions on Communications, 67(11), 2019.
- S. Sharafeddine, R. Islambouli, “On-demand deployment of multiple aerial base stations for traffic offloading and network recovery,” in Elsevier Computer Networks, vol. 156, 2019.
- HA. Alameddine, S. Sharafeddine, S. Sebbah, S. Ayoubi, C Assi, ”Dynamic task offloading and scheduling for low-latency IoT services in multi-access edge computing,” in IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 37 (3), 2019.
- S. Sharafeddine, O. Farhat, “A proactive scalable approach for reliable cluster formation in wireless networks with D2D offloading,” in Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 77, 2018.
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, 2005, Munich University of Technology, Germany.
- ME in Computer and Communications Engineering, 2001, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- BE in Computer and Communications Engineering, 1999, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.