BA in History Mission, Objectives and Learning Outcomes
The History Program at the Lebanese American University aims to provide students with a solid grounding in a variety of world historical epochs in order to reinforce their qualification potential for a wide range of career opportunities.
The objectives of the History Program at the Lebanese American University are to
- Prepare graduates for field-related careers in Lebanon and abroad;
- Prepare graduates for follow-up graduate programs in History and other related interdisciplinary fields;
- Prepare graduates who are equipped with the knowledge, the critical thinking/reading/writing skills, the curiosity, and the creative impulse to pursue meaningful life-long learning.
Students of this program will be able to:
- Analyze historical texts from multiple perspectives in their respective intellectual, social, and political contexts;
- Demonstrate the ability to interpret, explain, and evaluate critically the overt as well as the underlying meanings of historical texts;
- Appraise the principal theoretical assumptions that relate history to the wider culture;
- Demonstrate synthetic comprehension of broad epochal cross-sections as they reflect the prevailing intellectual temper of the times (Zeitgeist);
- Interpret historical documents and texts from a systematic and formal historiographical perspective;
- Demonstrate the ability to write learnedly and with scholarly acumen for various print, artistic, technical, and media genres;
- Produce original scholarly and documented historical research projects of significant length.