Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Dr. Nadine Abbas is a visiting Assistant Professor at the Computer Science Department at the Lebanese American University. She earned a BE degree in Computer and Communication Engineering from Notre Dame University (NDU) in 2008. She received her ME and PhD degrees in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the American University of Beirut (AUB) in 2011 and 2017, respectively.
Her research interests include mobile edge computing and wireless communications. The aim is to provide novel solutions that address emerging challenges in the design of next generation heterogeneous wireless networks, including ultra-reliable and low-latency communication systems in the context of 5G/6G mobile communications, tactile internet, internet of things, UAV-aided communications, and cognitive vehicular-to-everything networks.
Dr. Abbas has received several awards including a visiting researcher position in 2012 at Intel Corporation USA, in addition to a scholarship from the Lebanese National Council for Scientific Research from 2015-2017, and NDU’s Engineering Research Innovation Award in 2008.
Dr. Abbas has been serving as the Membership Development Officer of the IEEE Lebanon Section and the Vice Chair of IEEE - Women In Engineering - Lebanon since January 2021, and the Technical Manager at Beirut AI since 2020. Nadine also served as a member of the IEEE Communications Society Executive Committee, acting as activity coordinator from 2017 to 2020. She is also a reviewer to multiple conferences and journals such as IEEE Globecom and IEEE Transactions on Communications among others.
- N. Abbas, A. Mrad, A. Ghazleh and S. Sharafeddine, “UAV-based Relay System for IoT Networks with Strict Reliability and Latency Requirements”, in IEEE Networking Letters, 2021 doi: 10.1109/LNET.2021.3077869.
- N. Abbas, S. Sharafeddine, H. Hajj and Z. Dawy, “Price-Aware Traffic Splitting in D2D HetNets with Cost-Energy-QoE Tradeoffs,” Computer Networks, vol. 172, p. 107169, 2020. doi: 10.1016/j.comnet.2020.107169.
- N. Abbas, H. Hajj, S. Sharafeddine and Z. Dawy, “Traffic Offloading with Channel Allocation in Cache-Enabled Ultra-Dense Wireless Networks”, in IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 67, no. 9, pp. 8723-8737, September 2018. doi:10.1109/TVT.2018.2845135
- N. Abbas, H. Hajj, Z. Dawy, K. Jahed and S. Sharafeddine, “An Optimized Approach to Video Traffic Splitting in Heterogeneous Wireless Networks with Energy and QoE Considerations”, Elsevier Journal of Networks and Computer Applications, vol. 83, Issue C, April 2017. ISSN 1084-8045, doi:10.1016/j.jnca.2017.01.008
- N. Abbas, Y. Nasser and K. El-Ahmad, “Recent Advances on Artificial Intelligence and Learning Techniques in Cognitive Radio Networks”, Springer EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, June 2015. doi: 10.1186/s13638-015-0381-7
- N. Abbas, R. Abusrewil, A. Najjar and S. Sharafeddine, “Minimum UAV Fog Servers with Maximum IoT Devices Association Using Genetic Algorithms”, in Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE International Multidisciplinary Conference on Engineering Technology, December 2021.
- N. Abbas, Y. Nasser, M. Shehab and S. Sharafeddine, “Attack-Specific Feature Selection for Anomaly Detection in Software-Defined Networks”, in Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE Middle East & North Africa Communications Conference, December 2021.
- N. Abbas, S. Taleb and H. Hajj, “Video Features with Impact on User Quality of Experience”, in Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE Middle East & North Africa Communications Conference, December 2021.
- N. Abbas, S. Sharafeddine, H. Hajj and Z. Dawy, “Cost and Energy Aware Dynamic Splitting of Video Traffic in Heterogeneous Networks”, in Proceedings of the 24th IEEE symposium on Computers and Communications, June 2019.
- N. Abbas, Z. Dawy, H. Hajj, S. Sharafeddine and F. Filali, “Traffic Offloading with Maximum User Capacity in Dense D2D Cooperative Networks”, in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Communications, May 2017.
- PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2017, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- ME in Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2011, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- BE in Computer and Communication Engineering, 2008, Notre Dame University, Lebanon