Associate Professor of Chemistry
Dr. Ahmad Houri is an associate professor of chemistry in the Natural Sciences Department.
His main research interests are in the fields of chemistry, biodiversity, environment, energy efficiency and renewable energy. He has published numerous papers and two books on the wild flowers of Lebanon, and a web-based database on the flora of Lebanon.
He is also the vice president of the Lebanese Solar Energy Society.
Publications in International Journals
- “Quantification of Energy Produced from an Evacuated Tube Water Heater in a Real Setting” Ahmad Houri, Hussein Salloum, Anwar Ali, Abdel Karim Abdel Razik, Laila Houri. Renewable Energy 49 (2013), 111-114.http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2012.01.052
- “Financial and energy impact of compact fluorescent lighting fixtures in a rural setting” Ahmad Houri and Pierre Khoury. Energy and Buildings. 42 (2010) 658-666.
- “Water Quality Assessment of Lebanese Coastal Rivers during Dry Season and Pollution Load into the Mediterranean Sea” Ahmad Houri and Saadieh W. El Jeblawi. Journal of Water and Health 5(4): 2007, 615-623.
- “Behavior Patterns of the Pine processionary Moth (Thaumetopoea wilkinsoni, Tams; Lepidoptera: Thaumetopoeidae)” Ahmad Houri and Dany Doughan. American Journal of Agriculture and Biological Sciences. 1(1): 1-5, 2006.
- “Factors Affecting Environmental Knowledge and Attitudes among Lebanese College Students” Ahmad Oweini and Ahmad Houri. Applied Environmental Education and Communication: An International Journal 5(2): 2006, 95-105.
- “Prospects and Challenges of Using Hydropower for Electricity Generation in Lebanon”. Ahmad Houri, Renewable Energy 31(11): 2006, 1686-1697.
- “Solar Water Heating in Lebanon: Current Status and Future Prospects” Ahmad Houri. Renewable Energy, 31(5), 2006, 663-675.
- “Renewable Energy Resources in Lebanon: Practical Applications”. Ahmad Houri. ISESCO Science and Technology Vision 1: May 2005: 65-68.
- “Addictive Behaviors Amongst University Students: Contributing Factors, Student’s Perception and Addiction Rates”. Ahmad Houri and Mirvat Hammoud. Journal of Social Sciences 1(2): 2005, 105-113.
- “Residential Energy Consumption Patterns: The Case of Lebanon” Ahmad Houri and Samira Korfali. International Journal of Energy Research 2005; 29: 755-766.
- “Towards an Environmentally Friendly Chemistry Laboratory: Managing Expired Chemicals, Metal Oxides”. Ahmad F. Houri and Hania Wehbe. Green Chemistry, 5 (3), June 2003, pp. 49-50.
- “Application of Zr-Catalyzed Carbomagnesation and Mo-Catalyzed Macrocyclic Ring Closing Metathesis in Asymmetric Synthesis. Enantioselective Total Synthesis of Sch 38516 (Fluvirucin B1)”. Zhongmin Xu, Charles W. Johannes, Ahmad F. Houri, Daniel S. La, Derek A. Cogan, Gloria E. Hofilena, Amir H. Hoveyda. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 1997, 119, 10302-10316.
- “Cascade Catalysis in Synthesis. An Enantioselective Route to Sch 38516 (and Fluvirucin B1) Aglycon Macrolactam”. Ahmad F. Houri, Zhongmin Xu, Derek Cogan, Amir H. Hoveyda.Journal of the American Chemical Society, 1995, 117, 2914-2915.
- “Zirconium Catalyzed Ethylmagnesation of Hydroxylated Terminal Alkenes: A Catalytic and Diastereoselective Carbon-Carbon Bond-Forming Reaction”. Ahmad F. Houri, Mary T. Didiuk, Zhongmin Xu, Nina R. Horan, Amir H. Hoveyda. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 1993, 115, 6614-6624.
- “On the Mechanism of the Zirconium-Catalyzed Carbomagnesation Reaction. Efficient and Selective Catalytic Carbomagnesation with Higher Alkyls of Magnesium”. Amir H. Hoveyda, James P. Morken, Ahmad F. Houri, Zhongmin Xu. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 1992, 114, 6692-6697.
- “Stereoselective Zirconium Catalyzed Ethylmagnesation of Homoallylic Alcohols and Ethers. The Influence of Internal Lewis Bases on Substrate Reactivity”. Amir H. Hoveyda, Zhongmin Xu, James P. Morken, Ahmad F. Houri. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 1991, 113, 8950-8952.
Notes Published in International Journals
- “What would be the three preconditions for jumpstarting or scaling up the transfer of environmentally sound technologies for climate change to developing countries?” Ahmad Houri. Natural Resources Forum 2009, 33, p 336.
Publications in Edited Books
- “Impact of Global Warming on Eastern Mediterranean High Altitude Plant Biodiversity”. Nisrine Machaka-Houri and Ahmad Houri in Environment and Ecology in the Mediterranean Region. Recep Efe, Munir Ozturk and Shahina Ghazanfar, Editors. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2012, pp115-124.
- “Tetramethylammonium Triacetoxyborohydride (Me4N(AcO)3BH)”. Ahmad F. Houri, Amir H. Hoveyda. Encyclopedia of Reagents for Organic Synthesis. L. A. Paquette ed., Wiley, 1995.
- “Dichlorobis(cyclopentadienyl)titanium (Cp2TiCl2)”. Ahmad F. Houri, Amir H. Hoveyda. Encyclopedia of Reagents for Organic Synthesis. L. A. Paquette ed., Wiley, 1995.
- “Assessment of energy and financial performance of a solar hot water system in a single family dwelling: case study from Marjeyoun - South Lebanon”. Ahmad Houri, Hussein Salloum, Anwar Ali, Abdel Karim Abdel Razik, Laila Houri. Published in collaboration with UNDP, GEF and LCEC. 2009.
- Student’s Guide to Graduate Studies by Hussein Abbas and Ahmad Houri. 2011, Beirut Lebanon. ISBN 978-9953-0-2204-8
- Photographic Guide to Wild Flowers of Lebanon, Volume 2 by Ahmad Houri and Nisrine Machaka-Houri. 2008, Beirut, Lebanon. ISBN 978-9953-0-1221-6.
- Photographic Guide to Wild Flowers of Lebanon by Ahmad Houri and Nisrine Machaka-Houri. Printed by Chemaly & Chemaly. 2001. Library of Congress Registration number: TX 5-913-402.
- PhD, Boston College, USA
- MSc in Renewable Energy, University of Ulster, UK
- BS in Chemistry, American University of Beirut, Lebanon