Associate Professor of Chemistry
Chairperson, Department of Natural Sciences
Brigitte Wex is an associate professor of chemistry. She is currently the chairperson of the Department of Natural Sciences. In 2006, she joined LAU as full-time assistant professor and was subsequently promoted in 2013 to associate professor with tenure.
Dr. Wex is a synthetic organic materials chemist for opto-electronic device applications. In addition, her research work focuses on computational chemistry as a tool to model structural, photophysical and electronic properties for materials applications, transition metal complexes for biological, photodynamic therapy and optoelectronic applications.
She has published numerous papers in peer-reviewed internationally renowned journals and presented posters and talks at international conferences. She is an active member of the American Chemical Society (ACS), Royal Society of Chemistry (MRSC), and the German Chemical Society. She is the founding Student Chapter Advisor of the first ACS Student Chapter in Lebanon.
- Kaafarani, B. R.; El-Assaad, T. H.; Smith, W. A.; Ryno, S. M.; Hermerschmidt, F.; Lyons, J.; Patra, D.; Wex, B.; List-Kratochvil, E. J. W.; Risko, C.; Barlow, S.; Marder, S. R. “Bis(tercarbazole) pyrene and tetrahydropyrene derivatives: photophysical and electrochemical properties, theoretical modeling, and OLEDs” J. Mater. Chem. C 2019, 10.1039/C8TC06266H.
- Wex, B.; Safi, R.; Antonios, G.; Zgheib, P.; Awad, D.; Kobeisy, F.; Mahfouz, R.; El-Sabban, M.; Yazbek, S. “SLC35B4, an inhibitor of gluconeogenesis, responds to glucose stimulation and downregulates Hsp60 among other proteins in liver cells” Molecules, 2018, 23, 1350/1-16.
- Awad, A.; El Khoury, P.; Wex, B.; Khalaf, R. A. “Proteomic Analysis of a Candida albicans pga1 Null Strain,” EuProt, 2018, 1, 6.
- Awad, A.; El Khoury, P.; Wex, B.; Khalaf, R. A. “Tandem Mass Spectrometric Cell Wall Proteome Profiling of a Candida albicans hwp2 Mutant Strain,” 2018, Curr. Mol. Pharmacol., 2018, 11, 211-225.
- El Khoury, P.; Awad, A.; Wex, B.; Khalaf, R. A. “Proteomic analysis of a Candida albicans pir32 null strain reveals proteins involved in adhesion, filamentation and virulence”, PLOS one, 2018, 0194403/1-16.
- Wex, B.; Kaafarani, B. R. “Perspective on carbazole-based organic compounds as emitters and hosts in TADF applications” J. Mater. Chem. C. 2017, 5(34), 8622-8653.
- El-Assaad, T. H.; Auer, M.; Castañeda, R.; Hallal, K. M. Jradi, F. M.; Mosca, L.; Khnayzer, R. S.; Patra, D.; Timofeeva, T. V.; Brédas, J.-L.; List-Kratochvil, E. J. W; Wex, B.; Kaafarani, B. R. “Tetraaryl Pyrenes: Photophysical Properties, Computational Studies, Crystal Structures, and Application in OLEDs”, J. Mater. Chem. C 2016, 4, 3041-3058, DOI: 10.1039/c5tc02849c.
- Wex, B.; El-Ballouli, A. O.; Vanvooren, A.; Zschieschang, U.; Klauk, H.; Krause, J. A.; Cornil, J.; Kaafarani, B. R. “Crystalline TQPP as p-type Semiconductor: X-ray Crystallographic Investigation, OTFT Device, and Computational Analysis of Transport Properties”, J. Mol. Struct. 2015, 1093, 144-149.
- El-Ballouli, A. O.;Khnayzer, R. S.; Khalife, J. C.; Fonari , A.; Hallal, K. M.; Timofeeva, T. V.;Patra, D.; Castellano, F. N.; Wex, B.; Kaafarani, B. R. “Diarylpyrenes vs.Diaryltetrahydropyrenes: Synthesis, Crystal Structures, Fluorescence, and Upconversion Photochemistry”, J. Photochem. Photobiol. A, 2013, 272, 49-57.
- PhD in Photochemistry, 2005, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH, USA
- MS in Molecular Biology, 2000, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH, USA
- BS in Biology, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Germany