Assistant Professor of Nutrition
Coordinator - Nutrition Program
Dr. Jana Jabbour Salem is an assistant professor of nutrition at the Department of Natural Sciences. One of her main goals is to advance the field of public health nutrition by understanding the predictors of non-communicable diseases and identifying effective ways of influencing the behaviors of individuals.
To this end, Dr. Jabbour has a decade of experience as a clinical dietitian at the American University of Beirut Medical Center (AUBMC), where she gained enriching experience optimizing the nutritional statuses of patients suffering from a variety of medical conditions. This experience equipped her with hands-on involvement in dietetics and allowed her to establish collaborations with multidisciplinary teams. As a technical consultant with the regional office of the World Health Organization, she has collaborated with a diversity of researchers in ministries and local authorities in low, middle and high-income countries in the Eastern Mediterranean Region. The national and regional projects she has been involved in include analyses of nationwide nutrition surveys, legal reforms and health strategies.
At LAU, Dr. Jabbour shares her experience with students to support them in becoming successful change-makers. She strives to empower them in translating research into practice and in designing innovative and impactful scientific projects.
Dr. Jabbour’s research interests revolve around how body composition phenotypes are altered throughout time, affected by nutritional and medical interventions, and influenced by legal reforms. Her research work has been well-received by scientific communities. In addition to receiving invitations to speak at international and regional conferences, Dr. Jabbour has received scholarly awards and validation from Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and the National Institute of Health’s Office of Dietary Supplements, among other institutions.
Oral and Poster Presentations
- February 2022: IBCN and l’Institut de Cancérologie de l’Ouest. “Nutrition et Activité Physique: Des Atouts pour Prévenir le Cancer.”
- October 2021: 10th International Breast Cancer and Nutrition Symposium, Nantes, France. “Adherence with the American Cancer Society and Mediterranean Diet Guidelines: Where do Breast Cancer Survivors in Lebanon Stand?” Jabbour, J.; El Hadla R; Azar R.; El Helou R.; Naja F.; and Temraz S.
- October 2020: 2nd International Conference of Saudi Society for Clinical Nutrition. “Complementary Medicine Use Among Cancer Survivors.” Jabbour, J.; El Hadla R; Azar R.; El Helou R.; Naja F.; and Temraz, S.
- March 2020: American Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition 2020 Nutrition Science & Practice Conference- Rapid Fire Research Presentation; GI and Other Nutrition and Metabolic Related Topics, Florida, USA. “Effect of high dose Vitamin D Supplementation on sarcopenic obesity assessed by DXA among elderly: results of a randomized controlled trial.”
- March 2020: 46th Annual Meeting of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation, Madrid, Spain. “Nurses’ Role in Improving Patients’ Food Intake Dietary Encouragement in the Acute HSCT Phase.” Noureddine, W., Ghazali, N.; Saimoua, A.; Mkashar, H.; Sidani, M.; Okaily. S.; Zahreddine. A.; and Jabbour, J.
- February 2020: 8th Annual Beirut Breast Cancer Conference. “Adherence of Breast Cancer Survivors with Survivorship Guidelines.” Jabbour, J; El Hadla, R. Azar, R.; Naja, F. and Temraz, S.
- March 2018: 44th Annual Meeting of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation, Lisbon, Portugal. “Nutrition Counseling Improves Malnutrition Scores among Hematopoietic Stem Cell Recipients: Results of a Randomized Controlled Trial.” Jabbour, J.; Manana, B.; Sakr, M.; Zahreddine, A.; Tamim, H.; Bazarbachi, A.; Blaise, D.; El-Cheikh, J. Bone Marrow Transplant 53, 145–805 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41409-018-0354-7.
- November 2019: 4e Journées Francophones de Recherche en Soins, Angers, France. “La Chimiothérapie et la Malnutrition: Un Elément Modifiable?”
- May 2017: The 22nd European Hematology Association Congress, Madrid, Spain. “Adipose Tissue Changes in Lymphoma Patients in the Peri Transplantation Phase.” Jabbour, J.; Manana, B.; Zahreddine, A.; Saadeh, C.; Charafeddine, M.; Bazarbachi, A.; Blaise, D.; El-Cheikh.
- March 2017: 43rd Annual Meeting of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation, Marseille, France. “Body Composition Changes in Stem Cell Transplantation: The Case of Lymphoma Patients.” Jabbour, J.; Manana, B.; Zahreddine, A.; Saadeh, C.; Charafeddine, M.; Bazarbachi, A.; Blaise, D.; El-Cheikh, J. Bone Marrow Transplant 52: S124-S516; doi:10.1038/bmt.2017.134.
- September 2016: Eastern Vascular Society 30th Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, USA. “Preoperative Albumin is the Strongest Predictor of Perioperative Mortality and Reintervention in Non-High-Risk Vascular Patients.” Abou Ali, A.N.; Rabeh, W.; Jabbour, J.; Genovese, E.; Liang, N.L.; Chaer, R.A.; Avgerinos, E.D.
- January 2016: Clinical Nutrition Week 2016, Austin, USA. “Role of Nutritional Indices in Predicting Outcomes of Vascular Surgery.” Jabbour, J.; Abou Ali, A.N.; Rabeh, W.; Hakim, G.; Habib, R. JPEN 40 (1), 115–144.
- May 2015: 47th Middle East Medical Assembly, Beirut, Lebanon. “Nutrition in Cancer Prevention: Looking for the X Factor” and “Nutrition Support in Head and Neck Cancer: A Case Presentation.”
- April 2014: Lebanese International Nutrition Conference (LINC), Beirut, Lebanon. “Medical Nutrition Therapy: The Old and the New.”
- October 2013: International Breast Cancer & Nutrition Public Lectures, Beirut, Lebanon. “The Role of Nutrition in Cancer Prevention.”
- May 2012: Dietary Management of Metabolic Syndrome, Beirut, Lebanon. “Medical Nutrition Management of Dyslipidemia.”
- 2016 “Service Excellence Award” - AUBMC.
- 2011 “Advanced Leader Bronze” - Toastmasters International.
- 2011 “Best Evaluator” - Toastmasters Lebanon Convention.
- 2010 “Competent Communicator” and “Competent Leader”- Toastmasters International.
- Al-Jawaldeh.; Jabbour, J. “Marketing of Food and Beverages to Children in the Eastern Mediterranean Region: A Situational Analysis of the Regulatory Framework.” Frontiers in Nutrition, 2022, 9:6937. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnut.2022.868937.
- Jabbour, J.; Rahme, M; Mahfoud, Z.; El Hajj Fuleihan, G. “Effect of high dose vitamin D supplementation on indices of sarcopenia and obesity assessed by DXA among older adults: A randomized controlled trial.” Endocrine, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12020-022-03049-0.
- Jabbour, J.; Rihawi, Y.; Khamis, A.M.; Ghamlouche, L.; Tabban, B.; Safadi, G.; Hammad, N.; Hadla, R.; Zeidan, M.; Andari, D.; Azar, R.; Nasser, N.; Chakhtoura, M. “Long Term Weight Loss Diets and Obesity Indices: Results of a Network Meta-Analysis.” Frontiers in Nutrition, 2022, 9:821096 https://doi.org/10.3389/fnut.2022.821096.
- Jabbour, J.; Awada, D.; Naim, N.; Al-Jawaldeh, A.; Haidar Ahmad, H. Mortada, H, Hoteit, M. “Impact of Bariatric Surgery on the Healthy Eating Index, Binge Eating Behavior and Food Craving in a Middle Eastern Population: A Lebanese Experience.” Healthcare, 2021, 9, 1416. https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare9111416.
- Almaamari, S.; Al Shammakhi, S.; Alghamari, I.; Jabbour, J.; Al-Jawaldeh, A. “Young Children Feeding Practices: An Update from the Sultanate of Oman.” Children, 2021, 8, 818. https://doi.org/10.3390/children8090818.
- Ismail, G.; Abo El Naga, R.; El Sayed Zaki, M.; Jabbour, J.; Al-Jawaldeh, “Analysis of Fat Content with Special Emphasis on Trans Isomers in Frequently Consumed Food Products in Egypt: The First Steps in the Trans Fatty Acid Elimination Roadmap.” Nutrients, 2021 13(9), 3087. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu13093087.
- Almaamary, S.; Al Shammakhi, S.; Alghamari, I.; Jabbour, J.; Al-Jawaldeh, A. “Preschoolers’ and Mothers Dietary Practices and Compliance with the 24-h Movement Guidelines: Results of Oman’s National Nutrition Survey.” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 2021, 18(16), 8867. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18168867.
- Bin Sunaid, F. Al-Jawaldeh, A.; Almutairi, M.; Abdulaziz, R.; Alfuraih, T.; Bin Saidan, F.; Alraqea, A.; Almutairi, L.; Bin Duhaim, A.; Alsaloom, T.; Jabbour, J. “Saudi Arabia’s Healthy Food Strategy: Progress & Hurdles in the 2030 Road.” Nutrients, 2021, 13, 2130. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu13072130.
- Doggui, R.; Al-Jawaldeh, H.; El Ati, J.; Barham, R.; Nasreddine, L.; Alqaoud, N.; Arguendo, H.; El Ammari, L.; Jabbour, J.; Al-Jawaldeh, A. “Meta-Analysis and Systematic Review of Micro-and Macro-Nutrient Intakes and Trajectories of Macro-Nutrient Supply in the Eastern Mediterranean Region.” Nutrients, 2021, 13, 1515. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu13051515.
- Jabbour, J.; Manana, B.; Zahreddine, A.; Al-Shaar, L.; Bazarbachi, A.; Blaise, D.; El-Cheikh, J. “Vitamins and minerals intake adequacy in hematopoietic stem cell transplant: results of a randomized controlled trial.” Bone Marrow Transplantation, 2020, 56, 1106–1115. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41409-020-01154-0.
- Jabbour, J.; Abou Ali, A.N.; Rabeh, W.; Al-Shaar, L.; Avgerinos, E.D.; Habib, R.H. “Role of nutritional indices in predicting outcomes of vascular surgery.” Journal of Vascular Surgery, 2019, 70, 569-579. e564. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2018.10.116.
- Jabbour, J.; Manana, B.; Zahreddine, A.; Saade, C.; Charafeddine, M.; Bazarbachi, A.; Blaise, D.; El-Cheikh, J. “Sarcopenic obesity derived from PET/CT predicts mortality in lymphoma patients undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.” Current Research in Translational Medicine, 2019, 67, 93-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.retram.2018.12.001.
- Jabbour, J.; Manana, B.; Sakr, M.; Zahreddine, A.; Tamim, H.; Bazarbachi, A.; Blaise, D.; El-Cheikh, J. “The impact of counseling on nutritional status among hematopoietic stem cell recipients: results of a randomized controlled trial.” Bone Marrow Transplantation, 2019, 54, 752-756. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41409-018-0366-3.
- Allaik, M., Jabbour, J. “Use of Audio and Visual Aids for Educating Patients on Potassium and Phosphorus at a Middle Eastern Mediterranean Hemodialysis Unit.” Renal Nutrition Forum, Summer 2018; 37 (3): 3-8.
Please click here for a full list of publications
- Licensed Dietitian, 2009, Ministry of Health, Lebanon.
- PhD in Nutrition Oncology and Human Pathology, 2018, Aix-Marseille University in collaboration with American University of Beirut Medical Center.
- Scholars in HeAlth Research Program (SHARP) Certificate, 2015, American University of Beirut, Lebanon, and National Institute of Health.
- MPH in Health Management and Policy Making, 2012, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- BS in Nutrition and Dietetics, 2008, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.