Associate Professor of Mathematics
Co-Program Lead, Computer Science
Program Coordinator, Mathematics
Leila Issa is an associate professor of mathematics. She obtained her PhD in Computational and Applied Mathematics from Rice university. LAU has been her second home since 2011, where she enjoys teaching various courses such as multivariate calculus and partial differential equations.
In her free time, she enjoys discovering and reading about new science, talking about math/science while sipping coffee, teaching maths to her six-year-old, and mostly injecting these passions into her everyday life.
She is interested in ocean modeling and has been working on some applied projects such as modeling surface currents and understanding pollutant transport in our part of the Mediterranean Sea. She also works on the development and solution of perturbation based models for unsteady pressure driven flows in long channels of variable cross-section.
- G. Baaklini, L. Issa, M. Fakhri, J. Brajard, G. Fifani, M. Menna, I. Taupier-Letage, A. Bosse, L. Mortier. Blending drifters and altimetric data to estimate surface currents: Application in the Levantine Mediterranean and objective validation with different data types. Ocean Modelling. 2021/8/3
- I. Hoteit, Y. Abualnaja, S. Afzal, B. Ait-El-Fquih, T. Akylas, C. Antony, C. Dawson, K. Asfahani, R. J Brewin, L. Cavaleri, I. Cerovecki, B. Cornuelle, S. Desamsetti, R. Attada, H. Dasari, J. Sanchez-Garrido, L. Genevier, M. El Gharamti, J. A Gittings, E. Gokul, G. Gopalakrishnan, D. Guo, B. Hadri, M. Hadwiger, M. A. Hammoud, M. Hendershott, M. Hittawe, A. Karumuri, O. Knio, A. Köhl, S. Kortas, G. Krokos, R. Kunchala, L. Issa, I. Lakkis, S. Langodan, P. Lermusiaux, T. Luong, J. Ma, O. Le Maitre, M. Mazloff, S. El Mohtar, V. P Papadopoulos, T. Platt, L. Pratt, N. Raboudi, M. Racault, D. E Raitsos, S. Razak, S. Sanikommu, S. Sathyendranath, S. Sofianos, A. Subramanian, R. Sun, E. Titi, H. Toye, G. Triantafyllou, K. Tsiaras, P. Vasou, Y. Viswanadhapalli, Y. Wang, F. Yao, P. Zhan, G. Zodiatis. Towards an End-to-End Analysis and Prediction System for Weather, Climate, and Marine Applications in the Red Sea. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 1-61. 2020.
- El Mohtar, I Hoteit, O Knio, L Issa, I Lakkis. Lagrangian tracking in stochastic fields with application to an ensemble of velocity fields in the Red Sea, Ocean Modelling 131, 1-14
- L. Issa. A simplied model for unsteady pressure driven flows in circular microchannels of vari- able cross-section. Applied Mathematical Modelling, February 2018. Doi: 10.1016/j.apm.2018.01.037
- L. Issa, J. Brajard, M. Fakhri, D. Hayes, L. Mortier, P-M. Poulain. Modelling Surface Currents in the Eastern Levantine Mediterranean Using Surface Drifters and Satellite Altimetry. Ocean Modelling, May 2016. Doi: 10.1016/j.ocemod.2016.05.00
- L. Issa. Perturbation Based Simplifed Models for Unsteady Incompressible Micro-channels Flows, Applied Mathematical Modelling, December 2015. Doi: 10.1016/j.apm.2015.12.025
- L. Issa, I. Lakkis, Reduced Order Modeling of Low Mach Number Unsteady Micro-channel Flows, J. Fluids Eng. 136(5), 051201, March 2014. Dpi:10.1115/1.4026199
- L. Borcea, L. Issa, C. Tsogka, Source localization in random acoustic waveguides, SIAM Multiscale Modeling Simulations, 8(5), pp. 1981-2022, 2010.
- PhD in Computational and Applied Mathematics (CAAM), Rice University.
- MA in Mathematics, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- BA in Mathematics (High Distinction), Statistics minor, American University of Beirut.