Associate Professor of Mathematics
I am an associate professor of mathematics and the coordinator of the Mathematics Program. I obtained my PhD in Computational and Applied Mathematics from Rice university. LAU has been my second home since 2011, where I enjoy teaching various courses such as multivariate calculus and partial differential equations.
In my free time, I enjoy discovering and reading about new science, talking about math/science while sipping coffee, teaching maths to my six years old, and mostly injecting these passions into my everyday life.
Research Interests and Projects
I am interested in ocean modeling and have been working on some applied projects such as modeling surface currents and understanding pollutant transport in our part of the Mediterranean Sea. I also work on the development and solution of perturbation based models for unsteady pressure driven flows in long channels of variable cross-section.
- G. Baaklini, L. Issa, M. Fakhri, J. Brajard, G. Fifani, M. Menna, I. Taupier-Letage, A. Bosse, L. Mortier. Blending drifters and altimetric data to estimate surface currents: Application in the Levantine Mediterranean and objective validation with different data types. Ocean Modelling. 2021/8/3
- I. Hoteit, Y. Abualnaja, S. Afzal, B. Ait-El-Fquih, T. Akylas, C. Antony, C. Dawson, K. Asfahani, R. J Brewin, L. Cavaleri, I. Cerovecki, B. Cornuelle, S. Desamsetti, R. Attada, H. Dasari, J. Sanchez-Garrido, L. Genevier, M. El Gharamti, J. A Gittings, E. Gokul, G. Gopalakrishnan, D. Guo, B. Hadri, M. Hadwiger, M. A. Hammoud, M. Hendershott, M. Hittawe, A. Karumuri, O. Knio, A. Köhl, S. Kortas, G. Krokos, R. Kunchala, L. Issa, I. Lakkis, S. Langodan, P. Lermusiaux, T. Luong, J. Ma, O. Le Maitre, M. Mazloff, S. El Mohtar, V. P Papadopoulos, T. Platt, L. Pratt, N. Raboudi, M. Racault, D. E Raitsos, S. Razak, S. Sanikommu, S. Sathyendranath, S. Sofianos, A. Subramanian, R. Sun, E. Titi, H. Toye, G. Triantafyllou, K. Tsiaras, P. Vasou, Y. Viswanadhapalli, Y. Wang, F. Yao, P. Zhan, G. Zodiatis. Towards an End-to-End Analysis and Prediction System for Weather, Climate, and Marine Applications in the Red Sea. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 1-61. 2020.
- El Mohtar, I Hoteit, O Knio, L Issa, I Lakkis. Lagrangian tracking in stochastic fields with application to an ensemble of velocity fields in the Red Sea, Ocean Modelling 131, 1-14
- L. Issa. A simplied model for unsteady pressure driven flows in circular microchannels of vari- able cross-section. Applied Mathematical Modelling, February 2018. Doi: 10.1016/j.apm.2018.01.037
- L. Issa, J. Brajard, M. Fakhri, D. Hayes, L. Mortier, P-M. Poulain. Modelling Surface Currents in the Eastern Levantine Mediterranean Using Surface Drifters and Satellite Altimetry. Ocean Modelling, May 2016. Doi: 10.1016/j.ocemod.2016.05.00
- L. Issa. Perturbation Based Simplifed Models for Unsteady Incompressible Micro-channels Flows, Applied Mathematical Modelling, December 2015. Doi: 10.1016/j.apm.2015.12.025
- L. Issa, I. Lakkis, Reduced Order Modeling of Low Mach Number Unsteady Micro-channel Flows, J. Fluids Eng. 136(5), 051201, March 2014. Dpi:10.1115/1.4026199
- L. Borcea, L. Issa, C. Tsogka, Source localization in random acoustic waveguides, SIAM Multiscale Modeling Simulations, 8(5), pp. 1981-2022, 2010.
- PhD in Computational and Applied Mathematics (CAAM), Rice University.
- MA in Mathematics, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- BA in Mathematics (High Distinction), Statistics minor, American University of Beirut.