Assistant Professor of Nutrition
Dr. Rana Rizk is an assistant professor of nutrition at the Department of Natural Sciences.
Dr. Rizk has more than a decade of experience as a clinical dietitian. She also has an extensive experience as a public health coordinator on projects supported by national, regional and international entities, such as the Ministry of Health, the World Health Organization (WHO)-Lebanon, the World Health Organization Regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean Region (WHO EMRO), the Center for Disease and Control (CDC) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). Currently, Dr. Rizk co-supervises numerous PhD projects in the fields of nutrition and health economics. She is the author of peer-reviewed articles in top-tier international journals and a speaker at various national and regional conferences.
Dr. Rizk enjoys sharing her experience with students and supporting them in their journey of nutrition and dietetics education.
Her research focuses on exploring the burden of chronic diseases and uncovering the potential of nutritional interventions in improving health outcomes and decreasing healthcare costs, ultimately leading to change in health policy and clinical practice.
- Hellenic Society of Medical/Clinical Nutrition & Metabolism (GrESPEN) (2021-Present).
- European Society for Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism (ESPEN) (2021-Present).
- Arab Continuing Dietetic Education (2018-Present).
- Lebanese Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcome Research (LSPOR) (2017-Present).
- El Khoury-Malhame M, Rizk R, Joukayem E, Rechdan A, Sawma T. (2023). The psychological impact of COVID-19 in a socio-politically unstable environment: protective effects of sleep and gratitude in Lebanese adults. BMC Psychology, 11:14.
- Dahham J, Kremer I, Hiligsmann M, Hamdan K, Nassereddine A, Evers SMAA, Rizk R. (2023). Valuation of Costs in Health Economics During Financial and Economic Crises: A Case Study from Lebanon. Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, 21: 31–38.
- Samaha S, Azzi R, Rizk R, Sarray El Dine A, Malaeb D, Hallit S, Obeid S, Soufia M. (2022). Association between the bi-dimensional aspect of orthorexia and healthy behaviors among Lebanese adolescents. BMC Psychiatry, 22:725.
- Abboud M, Haidar S, Mahboub N, Papandreou D, Al Anouti F, Rizk R. (2022). Association between Serum Vitamin D and Irritable Bowel Syndrome Symptoms in a Sample of Adults. Nutrients, 6;14(19):4157.
- Daccache C, Rizk R, Dahham J, Evers S, Hiligsmann M, Karam R. (2021). Economic evaluation guidelines in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review. International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care, 38(1).
- Al Anouti F, Abboud M, Papandreou D, Haidar S, Mahboub N, Rizk R. (2021). Oral Health of Children and Adolescents in the United Arab Emirates: A Systematic Review of the Past Decade. Frontiers in Oral Health. https://doi.org/10.3389/froh.2021.744328.
- Mahboub N, Rizk R, de Vries N (2021). Nutritional parameters and lifestyle practices of people who use drugs undergoing treatment for recovery in Lebanon: a descriptive study. Journal of Nutritional Science. DOI: 10.1017/jns.2021.9.
- Abboud M, AlAnouti F, Papandreou D, Rizk R, Mahboub N, Haidar S (2021). Vitamin D status and blood pressure in children and adolescents: a systematic review of observational studies. BMC Systematic Reviews. DOI: 10.1017/jns.2021.9.
- Mahboub N, Honein-AbouHaidar G, Rizk R, de Vries N (2021). People who use drugs in rehabilitation, from chaos to discipline: Advantages and pitfalls: A qualitative study. PLoS ONE. DOI: 10.1017/jns.2021.9.
- Abboud M, Rizk R, AlAnouti F, Papandreou D, Haidar S, Mahboub N. (2020). The Health Effects of Vitamin D and Probiotic Co-Supplementation: A Systematic Review of Randomized Controlled Trials. Nutrients. DOI: 10.1017/jns.2021.9.
- AlAnouti F, Abboud M, Papandreou D, Mahboub N, Haidar S, Rizk R (2020). Effects of Vitamin D Supplementation on Lipid Profile in Adults with the Metabolic Syndrome: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Nutrients, 12(11):3352.
- Mahboub N, Rizk R, Karavetian M, de Vries N (2021). Nutritional status and eating habits of people who use drugs and/or undergoing treatment: a narrative review. Nutrition Reviews. DOI: 10.1093/nutrit/nuaa095.
- Abboud M, Rizk R, Papandreou D, Hijazi R, Edris N, Waszak P (2020). Evaluation of Self-Assessed State of Health and Vitamin D Knowledge in Emirati and International Female Students in United Arab Emirates (UAE). Frontiers in Psychology, 11, p.1236.
- Karavetian M, Salhab N, Rizk R, Poulia KA (2019). Malnutrition-Inflammation Score VS Phase Angle in the Era of GLIM Criteria: A Cross-Sectional Study among Hemodialysis Patients in UAE. Nutrients, 11:2771.
- Salhab N, Alrukhaimi M, Kooman J, Fiaccadori E, Aljubori H, Rizk R, Karavetian M. (2019). Effect of Intradialytic Exercise on Hyperphosphatemia and Malnutrition. Nutrients. DOI 10.3390/nu11102464.
- Radwan H, Ballout R, Hasan H, Lessan N, Karavetian M, Rizk R. (2018). The Epidemiology and Economic Burden of Obesity and Related Cardiometabolic Disorders in the United Arab Emirates: A Systematic Review and Qualitative Synthesis. Journal of Obesity. DOI: 10.1155/2018/2185942
- Radwan H, Ballout R, Hasan H, Rizk R. (2018). The epidemiology of cancer in the United Arab Emirates: A systematic review. Medicine. DOI: 10.1097/MD.0000000000013618.
- Suzan H, de Vries Nanne, Papandreou D, Rizk R, Karavetian M. (2018). The Freshman Weight Gain Phenomenon: Does It Apply To Lebanese Students? Open Access Macedonian Journal of Medical Sciences. DOI: 10.3889/oamjms.2018.431.
- Abdo R, Abboud H, Salameh P, Jomaa N, Rizk R, Hosseini H. (2018). Direct Medical Cost of Hospitalization for Acute Stroke in Lebanon: A Prospective Incidence-Based Multicenter Cost-of-Illness Study. INQUIRY, 55:1–11.
- Karavetian M, Rizk R. (2018). Invited commentary: Patient education for hyperphosphatemia management: Improving outcomes while decreasing costs? Kidney Research and Clinical Practice, 37:4.
- Radwan H, Hashim M, Shaker Obaid R, Hasan H, Naja F, Al Ghazal H, Mohamed H, Rizk R, Al Hilali M, Rayess R, Izzaldin G. (2018). The Mother-Infant Study Cohort (MISC): Methodology, challenges, and baseline characteristics. PLoS ONE, 13:e0198278.
- Rizk R, Hiligsmann M, Karavetian M, Evers S. (2017). Cost-effectiveness of dedicated dietitians for hyperphosphatemia management among haemodialysis patients in Lebanon: results from the Nutrition Education for Management of Osteodystrophy trial. Journal of Medical Economics, 20:1024-38.
- Rizk R, Karavetian M, Hiligsmann M, Evers S. (2017). Effect of stage-based education provided by dedicated dietitians on hyperphosphataemic haemodialysis patients: results from the Nutrition Education for Management of Osteodystrophy randomised trial. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 30:554-62.
- Abboud M, Rybchyn MS, Rizk R, Fraser DR, Mason RS. (2017). Sunlight exposure is just one of the factors which influence vitamin D status. Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences, 16:302-13.
- Rizk R. (2016). Cost-effectiveness of phosphate binders among patients with chronic kidney disease not yet on dialysis: a long way to go. BMC Nephrology, 17(1), 75
- Rizk R, Hiligsmann M, Karavetian M, Salameh P, Evers S. (2016) A societal cost-of-illness study of hemodialysis in Lebanon. Journal of Medical Economics, 19:1157-66
- Karavetian M, Elzein H, Rizk R, Jibai R, de Vries N. (2016). Nutritional education for management of osteodystrophy: Impact on serum phosphorus, quality of life, and malnutrition. Hemodialysis International, 20:432-40.
- Rizk R, Hiligsmann M, Karavetian M, Evers S. (2016). Economic evaluations of interventions to manage hyperphosphataemia in adult haemodialysis patients: A systematic review. Nephrology (Carlton), 21:178-87.
- Karavetian M, Rizk R. (2016). Development and evaluation of continuing education course in renal dietetics. Nutrition Research and Practice, 10:99-107
- Karavetian M, Elzein H, Rizk R, Bechwaty F, de Vries N. (2015). Effect of behavioral stage-based nutrition education on management of osteodystrophy among hemodialysis patients, Lebanon. Patient Education & Counseling, 98:1116-22.
- Karavetian M, de Vries N, Rizk R, Elzein H. (2014). Dietary educational interventions for management of hyperphosphatemia in hemodialysis patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Nutrition Reviews, 72(7):471-82.
- Licensed Dietitian in Lebanon, Lebanese Ministry of Public Health, Beirut, Lebanon (2009-Present).
- PhD in Health, Medicine and Life Sciences: Health Technology Assessment, 2017, Maastricht University, Netherlands.
- MPH in Epidemiology and Biostatistics, 2016, Lebanese University, Lebanon.
- MS in Nutrition: Clinical Nutrition, 2013, Holy Spirit University of Kaslik (USEK), Lebanon.
- BS in Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 2009, Holy Spirit University of Kaslik (USEK), Lebanon.