Rony S. Khnayzer
Associate Professor of Chemistry
Chairperson, Department of Liberal Education
Dr. Rony Khnayzer is an associate professor of chemistry in the Department of Natural Sciences and the chairperson of the Department of Liberal Education.
His research profile and paper on photocatalysis were highlighted on the cover of ChemPlusChem (a Q1 Wiley journal) in 2016, and in 2017 his work on photochemotherapy was displayed on the front cover of Dalton Transactions (a Q1 Royal Society of Chemistry journal). In 2012 he was awarded the Shanklin Award for Research Excellence for the sciences and mathematics division at Bowling Green State University. He has also been selected as the recipient of the McMaster Fellowship for 2012-2013 academic year by the Center of Photochemical Sciences.
He holds a PhD from the Department of Chemistry and Center for Photochemical Sciences at Bowling Green State University. During his undergraduate studies at the American University of Beirut, he received numerous academic awards, including the Dean’s Honor List.
Dr. Khnayzer is an active member of the American Chemical Society and was recently admitted as a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry (MRSC). In 2018, he received the Research Excellence Award at LAU.
In his free time, he enjoys hiking, swimming and cycling.
- Mehanna, S.; Mansour, N.; Audi, H.; Bodman-Smith, K.; Mroueh, M. A.; Taleb, R. I.; Daher, C. F. and Khnayzer, R. S.* “Enhanced cellular uptake and photochemotherapeutic potential of a lipophilic strained Ru(II) polypyridyl complex” RSC Advances, 2019, 9, 17254 – 17265.
- Mansour, N.; Mehanna, S.; Taleb, R. I.; Mroueh, M.; Bodman‐Smith, K.; El-Sibai, M.; Daher, C. F.; Khnayzer, R. S.* Photoactivatable Ru(II) complex bearing 2,9-diphenyl-1,10-phenanthroline: unusual photochemistry and significant potency on cisplatin-resistant cell lines. Eur. J. Inorg. Chem., 2018, 22, 2524-2532.
- Al Hageh, C.; Al Assaad, M.; El Masri, Z.; Samaan, N.; El-Sibai, M.; Khalil, C.; and Khnayzer, R. S.;* Long-lived cuprous bis-phenanthroline complex for the photodynamic therapy of cancer. Dalton Trans. 2018, 47, 4959-4967.
- Audi, H.; Azar, A.; Mahjoub, H. Farhat, S.; El-Masri, Z.; El-Sibai, M.; Abi-Habib, R.; and Khnayzer, R. S.* Cytotoxicity Modulation of Ruthenium (II) tris-bathophenanthroline Complexes With Systematically Varied Charge. J. Photochem. Photobiol. A, 2018, 351, 59–68.
- Azar, A.; Audi, H.; Farhat, S.; El-Sibai, M.; Abi-Habib, R. J.; and Khnayzer, R. S.* “Phototoxicity of Strained Ru(II) Complexes: Is it the Metal or the Dissociating Ligand?” Dalton Trans., 2017, 46, 11529–11532. This paper was highlighted on the cover of Dalton Trans. Volume 46 number 35.
- Khnayzer, R. S.*; Olaiya, B. S.; El Roz, K. A.; Castellano, F. N. Homogeneous Photocatalytic H2 Production using a Ru(II) Bathophenanthroline MLCT Photosensitizer. ChemPlusChem 2016, 81, 1090-1097. This paper was highlighted on the cover of Chempluschem volume 81, special issue: Catalytic systems for water splitting.
- Khnayzer, R. S.*; Martin, D. R.; Codding, C. L.; Castellano, F. N. “Parallelization of Photocatalytic Gas-Producing Reactions”, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 2015, 86, 034101.
- Khnayzer, R. S.; Thoi, V. S.; Nippe, M.; King, A. E.; Jurss, J. W.; El Roz, K. A.; Long, J. R.; Chang, C. J.; and Castellano, F. N. “Towards a Comprehensive Understanding of Visible-Light Photogeneration of Hydrogen from Water Using Cobalt(II) Polypyridyl Catalysts” Energy Environ. Sci., 2014, 7, 1477-1488.
Click here for the full list of publications.
- PhD in Photochemical Sciences, 2013, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH, USA.
- BS with high-distinction, 2008, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon.