Associate Professor of Arabic and Persian Literature
Chairperson, Department of Communication, Arts & Languages
Dr. Vahid Behmardi is an associate professor of Arabic and Persian literature. He is also the chairperson of the Department of Communication, Arts and Languages.
Before joining LAU in 2005, Behmardi taught Arabic and Persian literature at Charles University in Prague and the American University of Beirut. In fall 2004, he was a visiting scholar at Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania, USA.
Behmardi has been serving as reviewer of academic publications for Cambridge University Press, Edinburgh University Press, Brill Publishers, German Orient Institute, and al-Abhath.
His research interests include Arabic literature in the Abbasid Epoch, classical Persian literature, Islamic mysticism, and reform movements in Iran during the 19th and early 20th centuries.
- ‘Sheikh Wahbeh al-Zuhaili on International Relations: The Discourse of a Prominent Islamist Scholar (1932-2015), co-author: Sami E. Baroudi & Vahid Behmardi, in Journal of Middle Eastern Studies, volume 53, 2017 – Issue 3, pp. 363-385.
- ‘Zeine N. Zeine (1908-1996): A Visionary Historian’ Al-Abhath – Journal of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, American University of Beirut, vol. 64, 2016, pp. 75-81.
- ‘Author Disguised and Disclosed: Uncovering Facts in Hamadhani’s Fiction’ in Concepts of Authorship in Pre-Modern Arabic Texts, eds. L. Behzadi & J. Hameen-Anttila, Bamberger Orientstudien no. 7, University of Bamberg Press, 2015, pp. 129-151.
- ‘Arabic and Persian Intertextuality in the Seljuq Period: Hamaidi’s Maqamat as Case Study’ in The Seljuqs: Politics, Society and Culture, eds. C. Lange & S. Mecit, Edinburgh University Press, 2011, pp. 240-255.
- ‘Khamrat ma’na wahdat al-shuhud fi karmat lafdhat kul’ in AL-MACHRIQ, Dar al-Machriq, ‘The Impact of al-Jahiz on the Genesis of the Maqama Genre’ in Al-Jahiz: A Muslim Humanist for our Time, eds. A. Heinemann, J. Meloy, T. Khalidi & M. Kropp, Beiruter Texte und Studien 119, Orient-Institut Beirut, 2009, pp. 111-123.
- The Weaving of Words: Approaches to Classical Arabic Prose (co-editor) ISBN 978-3-89913-678-4. Beiruter Texte und Studien (Serial No. 112), Onrient-Institut Beirut, Beirut, 2009.
- ‘Rhetorical Values in Buyid Persia According to Badi’ al-Zaman al-Hamadhani’ in The Weaving of Words: Approaches to Classical Arabic Prose. Beiruter Texte und Studien, Onrient-Institut Beirut, Beirut, 2009. pp. 151-164.
- ‘The Wajdiyyat of Ayn al-Qudat al-Hamadani: Youthful Passions of a Sufi in the Making,’ in Ghazal as World Literature II: From a Literary Genre to a Great Tradition, eds. Angelika Neuwirth, Judith Pfeiffer, Michael Hess & Borte Sagaster, Orient Institute, Istanbul, 2006. pp. 39-46.
- ‘The Madira of Baghdad versus the Sikbaj of Nishapur: The Migration of a Maqama from Arabic to Persian,’ in Poetry’s Voice - Society’s Norms: Forms of Interaction between Middle Eastern Writers and their Societies, eds. by Andreas Pflitsch & Barbara Winckler, Wiesbaden, Reichert Verlag (Literaturem im Kontext), 2006. pp. 95-104.
- Risalat al-Suluk fi al-Akhlaq wal-A’mal by Kazim al-Rashti [Critical edition with introduction and notes] ISBN 3-89913-340-4. Beiruter Texte und Studen (Serial No. 93), Onrient-Institut Beirut, Beirut, 2004.
- ‘The Arabic Love Poetry of Jalal al-Din al-Rumi,’ Etudes Litteraires, Lebanese University, vol. 39-40, 2002-2003, pp. 40-61.
- ‘Djemal Pasha and the Syrian Protestant College during World War I,’ Al-Abhath, vol. 50-51, 2002-2003. pp. 135-159.
- PhD, University of Cambridge, England
- MA in Arabic Language and Literature, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- BA in Arabic Language and Literature, American University of Beirut, Lebanon