BA in Communication Mission, Objectives, Learning Outcomes
The BA in Communication offers an interdisciplinary liberal arts curriculum that balances theory, research, professional practice and critical inquiry, and prepares students to become innovative, professional, and ethical communicators ready to thrive in a rapidly evolving communication field and industry. The program focuses on Advertising and Public Relations, Social and Political Communication, and Interpersonal and Organizational Communication. The degree enables students to be life-long learners, scholars and critical thinkers who possess innovative and resilient capacities to adapt, succeed, and lead in an ever-changing and diverse global environment.
Graduates shall be able to:
- PO1: Demonstrate conceptual and practical knowledge for careers in communication across various specializations (advertising, public relations, social and political communication, and organizational communication).
- PO2: Exhibit an appreciation of the theoretical aspects of communication, and an understanding of the cultural, economic, and political contexts that affect communication professions and processes in the Arab region and globally.
- PO3: Exhibit technical competences with a wide range of convergent communication technologies and create professional, ethical, and civically engaged communication strategies and content to communicate with diverse stakeholders in an increasingly multicultural and global environment.
- PO4: Demonstrate the required research, critical and analytical competencies that enable them to pursue scholarly work and graduate studies.
Students will be able to:
- SLO1: Demonstrate knowledge of the functions and roles of various communication professions.
- SLO2: Understand the value and needs of effective relationship management in today’s participatory media environment.
- SLO3: Apply critically major theories to various genres of communications studies.
- SLO4: Comprehend the historical, political, economical, legal, ethical and technological developments in the communication industry and profession, globally and in the Arab region.
- SLO5: Demonstrate technical abilities with a wide range of convergent communication technologies to research, plan, manage and produce communication content and design communication campaigns and strategies.
- SLO6: Conduct research using quantitative and qualitative methods of scientific inquiry.