BA in Multimedia Journalism Mission, Objectives and Learning Outcomes
The Bachelor of Arts degree in Multimedia Journalism offers a broad-based liberal arts curriculum that balances theory, research, professional practice and critical inquiry, and prepares students to become innovative, professional, and ethical communicators ready to thrive in a rapidly evolving journalism field and industry. It offers a regional and global scope, focusing on Arab media and society, and instilling principles of freedom of the press, objective and responsible journalism, global citizenship, and civic engagement. The degree enables students to be life-long learners, scholars, and critical thinkers who possess innovative and resilient capacities to adapt, succeed, and lead in an ever-changing and diverse global environment.
Graduates shall be able to:
- PO1: Demonstrate conceptual and practical knowledge for careers in journalism and media production across various specializations (print, broadcast, online, and other emerging fields) .
- PO2: Exhibit an appreciation of the theoretical aspects of journalism and media studies, and an understanding of the cultural, economic, and political contexts that affect news media production processes in the Arab region and globally.
- PO3: Exhibit technical and skill-based competences with a wide range of convergent communication technologies in order to thrive in a technology-driven and rapidly evolving news media environment.
- PO4: Demonstrate the required research, critical, and analytical competencies that enable them to pursue scholarly work and graduate studies.
- PO5: Create professional, ethical, and civically engaged news and media content to communicate with diverse audiences in an increasingly multicultural and global environment.
Students will be able to:
- SLO1: Demonstrate knowledge of the functions and roles of various news production environments.
- SLO2: Apply critically major theories to various genres of journalism and media studies.
- SLO3: Comprehend the historical, political, economical, and technological developments of the news industry globally and in the Arab region.
- SLO4: Adapt to trends and technological developments in the field.
- SLO5: Demonstrate competence in cross-platform media research, production, and information management.
- SLO6: Conduct research using quantitative and qualitative methods of scientific inquiry.
- SLO7: Produce objective, accurate, balanced, and engaging news content that reflects a variety of voices.
- SLO8: Apply journalistic principles and legal and ethical standards across various news media platforms.