BS in Biology Mission, Objectives and Learning Outcomes
Program Mission and Vision
The Bachelor of Science in Biology Program is committed to academic excellence providing a comprehensive learning experience in Biological Sciences in preparation for advanced studies and careers in Biological, Biomedical, Environmental and Health-related Sciences, while maintaining the tradition of the liberal arts education.
The program aims to:
- Instill understanding of biological concepts
- Integrate knowledge across biological sub-disciplines
- Foster critical thinking
- Provide insights into scientific methodology, advances in biological research and ethical issues
- Prepare students for leadership roles and careers in biological sciences
- Impart interest in lifelong learning
At the completion of this program, students are able to:
- Integrate concepts of physicochemical processes underlying metabolic pathways and homeostasis.
- Relate structure to function at the molecular and subcellular levels.
- Distinguish different functions of cells, tissues, and organs.
- Integrate mechanisms of molecular genetics, heredity and evolution.
- Relate the dynamic interactions of components at any one level of biological organization to the functional properties that emerge at higher organizational levels.
- Demonstrate ability in retrieving scientific literature, experimental planning, data collection and interpretation.
- Value ethical issues in biological sciences.
- Assess advances in biological sciences and their impact on society.
- Develop scientific literacy and skills for continued professional development as an individual and as part of a team.