New Generation of Social Scientists in the Arab Region Fellowship
This is one-of-a-kind fellowship program is ideal for students who are passionate about the social sciences and who are currently pursuing Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD degrees at partner universities in the Arab region.
As a NewGen fellow, you will be immersed in a two-year journey of activities comprising research, training, mentorship, networking and exposure. These activities aim to incubate a new generation of social scientists capable of, and committed to, conducting research for social change, developing and teaching critical approaches to social issues and building new institutions and infrastructures for knowledge production. All program activities will be implemented in partnership with the program’s main partner universities in the region.
LAU is the main partner university in this fellowship offered by the Arab Council for the Social Sciences (ACSS), and leads a consortium of participating universities, including the Lebanese University, American University of Beirut, University of Balamand and Saint Joseph University.
Who Can Apply?
Undergraduate and graduate students are eligible even if they are in disciplines and fields outside of the social sciences.
In addition to LAU, students from other main partner universities can apply: Birzeit University, University of Sfax and the American University in Cairo can apply. Students enrolled in the following universities can also apply:
Lebanon: Lebanese University, American University of Beirut, University of Balamand, Saint Joseph University
Palestine: Al Najah National University, Al Quds University (Abu Dis), Bethlehem University
Tunisia: Tunis-Al Manar University, Manouba University, Tunis University
Egypt: Cairo University, Alexandria University
NewGen Fellowship Objectives
- Develop a new generation of social scientists who are committed to critical scholarship and research, teaching and mentorship, and public engagement
- Support excellent students in the social sciences at the BA, MA and PhD levels by offering innovative coursework and opportunities for training, mentorship, internships and networking
- Create an institutional network that will support students nationally and regionally, and will facilitate knowledge transfer and sharing across the region
What Will You Gain as a Fellow?
Over the course of 2 years you will be immersed in a set of activities. Fellows will:
- Attend talks, workshops, conferences and online courses
- Develop skills for a career in social sciences
- Network with students from different Arab universities at summer programs