Hussein F. Hassan
Associate Professor of Food Science and Technology
Director of Academic Compliance
Dr. Hussein Hassan is an associate professor of Food Science and Technology. He is also the director of Academic Compliance at LAU. He served as the associate chairperson of the Department of Natural Sciences from 2018 till 2020. Dr. Hassan received his BSc and MSc in Food Technology from the American University of Beirut and his PhD in Food Process Engineering from McGill University, Canada. He is the recipient of the George Stewart International Competition Award (2011) by the Institute of Food Technologists (USA), in addition to the Stumbo Paper Competition Award (twice in 2010 and 2011) by the Institute of Food Thermal Processing Specialists, USA.
Research Interests and Projects
Dr. Hassan’s research interests revolve around the area of non-microbial food safety, food processing, and food waste. This includes assessing the effects of processing technologies on the quality of locally made foods, identifying/preventing the occurrence of toxic residues in foods marketed in Lebanon, and determining/characterizing the food waste in the country. Dr. Hassan’s research has been published and presented so far in more than sixty international journals and scientific meetings.
Apart from his passion in teaching and research, Dr. Hassan is an activist in his hometown, Baalbeck, where he co-founded and currently presides the Lebanese Association of Coexistence and Development. In addition, he enjoys traveling, hiking and community service. His motto is “better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.”
- Iman Dankar, Hussein Hassan, Mireille Serhan. 2022. Knowledge, attitudes and perceptions of dairy farmers to antibiotic use: Lessons from a developing country. Journal of Dairy Science, 105(2):1519-1532. doi: 10.3168/jds.2021-20951 (Q1, co-corresponding author).
- Layal Karam, Talia Salloum, Rima El Hage, Samar Merhi, Hamad Hassan, Hussein Hassan. 2021. How can packaging, source and food safety management system affect the microbiological quality of spices and dried herbs? The case of a developing country. International Journal of Food Microbiology 109295, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2021.109295 (Corresponding author; Q1).
- Jomana El Aridi, Hani Dimassi, Hussein Hassan. 2021. Determination of Lead, Cadmium and Arsenic in Infant Formula in the Lebanese Market. Food control, 123, 107750. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2020.107750 (corresponding author, Q1).
- Hani Dimassi, Suzan Haidar, Sarah Issa and Hussein F. Hassan. 2020. Food allergies and allergens: Characterization and perceptions among diagnosed food allergic individuals in Lebanon. World Allergy Organization Journal, 13:100481 (corresponding author, Q1).
- Dia Constantin Bandaly & Hussein F. Hassan. 2020. Postponement implementation in integrated production and inventory plan under deterioration effects: a case study of a juice producer with limited storage capacity. Production Planning & Control, 31 (4), 322-337 (Q1).
- Jomana Elaridi, Hani Dimassi and Hussein Hassan. 2019. Aflatoxin M1 and ochratoxin A in baby formulae marketed in Lebanon: Occurrence and safety evaluation. Food Control, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2019.06.006 (corresponding author, Q1).
- Lama Mattar, Mohamad Abiad, Ali Chalak, Mohamed Diab, Hussein Hassan. 2018. Attitudes and behaviors shaping household food waste generation: Lessons from Lebanon. Journal of Cleaner Production 198: 1219-1223 (corresponding author, Q1).
- Hussein Hassan, Hani Dimassi and Rafal El Amin. 2015. Survey and Analysis of Internal Temperatures of Lebanese Domestic Refrigerators, International Journal of Refrigeration 50, 165-171 (first author, Q1).
- Hussein Hassan and Dimassi H. 2014. Food safety and handling knowledge and practices of Lebanese university students, Food Control 40, 127-133 (first author, Q1).
- Hussein Hassan and Ramaswamy H. 2013. Bio-Validation of Bi-axial Rotary Thermal Processing, LWT, Food Science and Technology 53, 418-425 (first author, Q1).
Click here for the full list of publications.
International Conferences (since 2015)
- L. Mattar, MG Abiad, A. Chalak, M. Diab and H. Hassan, Attitudes and Behaviors Shaping Household Food Waste Generation: Lessons From Lebanon, Annual Meeting of the Institute of Food Technologists, New Orleans, LO, USA, June 2-5, 2019.
- Poster: Hassan H., Bassil M., Aridi J. Dimassi, H. Analysis of Aflatoxin M1 in Breast Milk and Its Association with Nutritional and Socio-economic Status of Lactating Mothers in Lebanon, International Association for Food Protection (IAFP)’s European Symposium on Food Safety, Stockholm, Sweden, April 2018.
- Poster: Hassan H. and Dimassi, H. Self-reported food safety knowledge and practices of Lebanese food handlers in Lebanese households, International Association for Food Protection (IAFP) Annual Meeting, Tampa, USA, July 2017.
- Poster: Hassan H., El Aridi J. and Bassil M., Evaluation of Gluten in Gluten-Free Labeled Foods & Assessment of Exposure Level to Gluten among Celiac Patients in Lebanon, International Union of Food Science and Technology (IUFoST) Annual Meeting, Dublin, Ireland, August 2016.
- Poster: Hassan H. and Dimassi, H. Usage and Understanding of Food Labels among Lebanese Supermarket Shoppers, Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Annual Meeting, Chicago, USA, July 2015.
- PhD in Food Science and Agricultural Chemistry, 2011, McGill University, Canada
- MSc in Food Technology, 2007, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- BSc in Nutrition and Dietetics, 2005, American University of Beirut, Lebanon