The Salzburg Academy is a three-week summer abroad program in Salzburg, Austria, open to students from all majors (from LAU and any other university). Students earn 6 LAU credits for two courses in global media literacy (the courses may count as LAC or free elective). Students discuss pressing global issues, produce multimedia modules, and engage in research and debates with 75 students and 15 faculty from across the globe, while exploring the exquisite Austrian nature and culture and Mozart’s birthplace, Salzburg. For three weeks, students live, dine, and study in residence at the 17th-century Meierhof building and the 18th-century world-renowned Schloss Leopoldskron, the palace in the movie The Sound of Music. See photos of the residence. Academy students receive full room and board, including buffet-style breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and coffee/tea breaks and two excursions in Austria/Germany.
The 2022 Salzburg Academy will run from July 18 until August 1, 2022.
Highlights of the Salzburg Academy
- Earn two courses in three weeks (Courses may count as LAC or free electives, or as major electives for Communication Arts majors).
- Live, dine, and study in one of the most beautiful places on earth.
- Regardless of your major or media-skills, learn digital media literacy skills transferable to any field and industry.
- Make new friends and build lifelong contacts from all over the world.
- Chat with world leaders, international artists, and Nobel and Pulitzer prize winners.
- Enjoy the world-famous Salzburg Music Festival that coincides with the academy.
- Experience what past participants called “a life-changing experience.”
- For information about COVID policies, see Salzburg Global Seminar Covid policies and Salzburg Global Seminar Covid General Hotel Information.
Who May Apply and How?
LAU and non-LAU students, graduates and undergraduates, from any major may apply. Applications are open to students and institutions from all parts of the world. Students from recognized Arab universities may apply here and earn credit through LAU.
- Applicants should use this link to submit an application.
- Application deadline: Early deadline February 20, 2022, late deadline April 15, 2022.
- Vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory under Austrian law. Applicants must be vaccinated in order to apply.
- Applicants will know by March 30 if they were accepted to the program, put on a wait list, or not accepted.
- Accepted students currently enrolled at LAU must first pay a non-refundable deposit of $1,000 by April 1. Students who do not pay the deposit will not be able to register for the courses and will lose their spot to someone in the wait list. The deposit will be credited toward the full tuition of the program.
- Accepted non-LAU students should immediately apply to LAU through the Admissions Office using a regular application and checking the box “special student not working towards a degree” for Summer 2022. Once enrolled as official LAU students, you must pay a non-refundable deposit of $1,500 by April 15. The deposit will be credited towards your full tuition for the program.
- We will then register accepted students who paid their deposit in the designated courses for the academy.
- Students should pay the full academy fees (see cost below) by May 17.
- Please see withdrawal and refund policies below.
Next Steps After Acceptance and Registration
After getting accepted to the Salzburg Academy and in addition to paying the deposit and tuition fees, you only have a few more matters to take care of before taking off to Austria:
- Book Flights Early: Book your airfare as early as you can to save money and guarantee convenient flights. July and August are popular tourism seasons in both Lebanon and Austria. The longer you wait to book your flight, the more expensive and the less likely you’ll find the dates you want. Most of our students pay the following: $450 to Vienna, $500 to Munich, and $550 to Salzburg. You can fly to either of these cities and take ground transportation to the palace. View this page for all details.
- Visa for Austria: Some students will need to get a visa to enter Europe. We will give you more directions for how to apply for a visa later. The visa usually takes 3-6 weeks and costs $40-$50.
- Travel Insurance: All students are required to get travel insurance. This is required by the Salzburg Academy, by LAU, and by visa authorities. Some students already have travel insurance through their parents or from other sources. Purchasing travel insurance costs $35-$45.
- Clothing and other details: For any other questions about the weather, what to take with you, clothing and events, pocket money, calling home, internet, and activities to do in Austria and Germany. View this page for all details.
Tuition for the 2022 Salzburg Academy
For years, we had kept the cost for the Salzburg Academy as close as possible to the cost of 6 undergraduate summer credits at LAU. Unfortunately, the economic crisis has made this impossible. Because the tuition goes directly to the Salzburg Academy in Austria, the tuition has to be paid in (fresh) USD. The full tuition of the Salzburg Academy program, which includes 6 LAU credits, room and board, food and excursions for three weeks in Austria is $6,400 (fresh). You may apply for partial scholarships too. The cost does not include travel expenses.
Financial Aid and Scholarships
Students may not use their regular LAU financial aid for this program, but may apply for a Salzburg Academy scholarship (normally $500 to $2,000). Students interested in applying to this scholarship must fill the portion of the application that refers to the scholarship. Scholarships are limited and offered mainly to students who currently receive financial aid from LAU.
The Salzburg Academy refund policy for all students is as follows:
1. The deposit is non-refundable under any circumstances.
2. Students canceling before the Summer tuition deadline: 100% of tuition minus the deposit.
3. Students canceling after the Summer tuition deadline: no refunds allowed.
The Salzburg Academy withdrawal policy is as follows:
1. Students may only drop both courses together.
2. Students who drop courses by the end of the 3rd day of the Academy receive a W grade.
3. Students are not allowed to drop courses after the 3rd day of the Academy.
Student Conduct and Ineligibility
Students who participate in the Salzburg Academy are subject to the LAU student code of conduct and the Salzburg Academy code of conduct. Students under probation are NOT eligible to participate in the academy.
Internships at the Salzburg Global Seminar
Salzburg Academy graduates interested in apply to a three-month internship at the Salzburg Global Seminar (SGS) are welcome to do so by emailing a letter of interest and CV to Michaela Goldman and CC Dr. Jad Melki.
Who can help you at LAU?
- Associate Professor of Journalism and Media Studies Jad Melki.
- Office of International Services at LAU.
Also, see the Salzburg Academy Blog for details about travel, lodging, participants and many other Frequently Asked Questions.