Minor in Chemistry
Our program provides you with a supportive environment to learn the principles of chemistry, different laboratory skills, and instrumental techniques. It allows you to gain a broad knowledge in basic and applied chemistry. Offered courses focus on the four main pillars of chemistry: physical, analytical, organic and inorganic.
A Minor in Chemistry will provide you with basic information in chemistry through lecture and laboratory courses, and equip you with a comprehensive understanding of good laboratory practices.
The program aims to provide access to modern instrumental techniques and applications
What Will I Learn?
With a Minor in Chemistry:
- You will successfully show acquisition of basic concepts in chemistry.
- You will demonstrate adequate experience in laboratory and instrumental modern techniques.
- You will identify and solve applied chemical problems.
- You will attain adequate preparation for any career related to chemistry or entrance into professional studies such as health and chemical engineering, and technical advanced fields.
Pursuing a minor in chemistry widens your choices of further studies such as professional health studies, chemical engineering, environmental chemistry and technical chemistry fields including cosmetics, textile and polymers. At the same time, the program complements premedical requirements for students interested in medicine.
Who Can Apply?
Students of all majors can gain valuable technical experience with a chemistry minor useful in today’s job market.
Students interested in Minor in Chemistry must complete 18 credits of the following courses:
|CHM201/CHM205||Chemical Principles / Fundamentals of Chemistry||3|
|CHM311||Organic Chemistry I||3|
|CHM312||Organic Chemistry II||3|
|CHM 313||Organic Chemistry I lab||1|
|CHM 330||Physical Chemistry I||4|
|CHM 332||Physical Chemistry II||3|
|CHM402||Chemistry of Materials||3|
|CHM406||Forensic Chemistry lab||2|
|CHM421/CHM420||Inorganic Chemistry I / Inorganic Chemistry||3/4|
|CHM422||Inorganic Chemistry II||3|
|CHM423||Syn. & Id.of Inorg.Comp.||2|
- CHM201 is a pre-requisite to all chemistry courses and hence must be taken by all students undergoing the minor in chemistry.
- If your program requires that you take more than 9-credits of chemistry, only 9-credits can be counted towards your minor.